Your home represents a big investment so it’s important to take care of the exterior to protect the value of your home. When the paint on the outside begins to fade, chip and crack it needs to be addressed before it becomes a bigger problem. Tackling a job like that can be a daunting task that requires attention every 5 to 10 years. The colour of paint and climate in your part of the country all play a part in how often you will need to do exterior maintenance.
Ask yourself if the home’s exterior is still a reflection of your personal standards. Have you noticed any wood rot, also if you are considering selling your home how will a fresh paint job affect it’s value.
Maintaining the exterior of your home can extend the life of an exterior paint job. Taking time to deal with any issues as they occur with annual maintenance stops small problems from becoming bigger problems. Keeping gutters and downspouts free of debris prevents water backup from damaging the exterior of your home as well.
Here are some signs the exterior of your home needs painting from Paint Works:
- is the paint chipping?
- it is fading or peeling?
- have you noticed any patches of bare wood?
Tips for exterior painting that will last
How you approach the painting project on your home’s exterior will make a big difference in how long it will last. When considering the quotes you’ve gathered from consulting professionals remember trying to save money now could end up costing you more down the line. A contractor who doesn’t pay attention to details could mean you’ll wind up needing to repaint in as little as one or two years. Preparing the wood surface and choosing the correct paint will extend the life of the paint job if done the right way.
Points to ponder regarding exterior painting projects
- Don’t delay that paint job as unprotected wood may experience rot and need replacing adding to the expense of your project
- Address all damaged surfaces before painting begins, sealing and caulking are necessary before starting
Start with a clean surface prior to applying new primer or paint power washing may even become necessary
- Using a paint primer is highly recommended to prepare the surface for paint and can extend the life of your exterior paint job
- The type of paint used is important using a high quality paint that is durable and meant for exterior surfaces will extend the paint job
A paint job by professional painters in Victoria BC that is done correctly requires prep work and hiring an experienced painting contractor will ensure the job is done properly.