There is the possibility that at sometime a homeowner may have to deal with water damage, either through flooding or a sewer backing up. Here are some tips, things to be aware of until such time as the Kennewick water damage restoration company is there with the equipment and expertise to minimize the damage. The primary focus should be on safety, is it safe to stay in the home? Electrical and slip and fall hazards are the primary concern.Only do activity that is safe to perform and be aware waterlogged materials are very heavy.
What to do after a flood
1) Remove excess water by blotting and mopping
2) Wipe excess water from wood furniture after moving lamps and tabletop items
3) Remove wet upholstery and cushions, prop them up to allow them to dry
4) Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
5) Turn air conditioning on to allow maximum drying in Summer months
6) Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting or any area rugs
7) Place any art objects in a safe. dry place
8) Gather loose items from the floor
What not to do after a flood
1) Do not leave any wet fabrics in place, hang furs and leather goods
2) Do not leave books or any colored items on wet carpets or floors
3) Never use a household vacuum to remove water, they are not made for this purpose
4) Refrain from using the television or other household appliances
5) Do not turn on ceiling fans, if the ceiling is wet
6) If the ceiling appears to be sagging stay out of that room
Dealing with water damage yourself
If you are not covered by insurance and taking care of the cleanup yourself you can rent fans and heaters to extract the moisture on your own. A good shop vacuum will remove moisture from carpets and floors, complete removal of water is the first step. Disinfecting any drywall and wood surfaces should follow to prevent the growth of mold in the future. Discard any damaged electrical appliances in a safe manner as well as items you may be concerned with their safe use. Most water damage will occur in the basement, or ground floor of the home besides any damage from a leaking roof. When storing items, precious family photos or business papers in the basement investing in waterproof bins could avoid disaster in the future. Some things can be replaced or repaired and we don’t often think that some possession are irreplaceable.
Contact Continental Carpet Cleaning and their water damage restoration service if you need help.